Retirement communities aren’t typically known for their fine dining. Of course, we’re not just a retirement community — we’re an active senior living community whose residents have the time of their lives, enjoying the best that life has to offer. And one of the most enjoyable parts of life is a good meal. Our dining choices reflect that.
We believe sharing a meal is about much more than energizing yourself or getting your prerequisite calories for the day. Mealtime is an opportunity for storytelling, conversation, reflection, and, of course, savoring a delicious meal.
Enjoying a meal with others isn’t just about good food; it’s good for you! Research shows that sharing a meal with others boosts our wellbeing, including our physical health, and social and emotional wellness. Sharing meals is also great for building a community, which is one of the most popular aspects of the lifestyle at Plymouth Place.
You see, retired living doesn’t mean retiring from the things you enjoy. And as one of the best retirement communities in the Chicago area, we take pride in the dining options we offer our residents.
And we do mean “options.” Unlike some retirement communities, we don’t offer a single, low-lit cafeteria that serves three squares (i.e. “boring”) at day and closes promptly at 6 p.m.
With our dining options, you’ll never go hungry and you’ll never be bored. You also won’t have to worry about shopping for groceries or cooking dinner. At Plymouth Place, you’ll always have fresh, delicious dining choices for breakfast, lunch, and dinner (plus a snack or two), whatever you’re craving.
Here are the dining options at Plymouth Place:
- The Sarah Tudor Dining Room: Sit back, slow down, and savor the moment (and the meal) with your spouse, friends or loved ones. The Sarah Tudor Dining Room offers a fine dining experience every night at dinner time. Grab a comfy spot in our elegant dining room or dine in the fresh air with al fresco seating available on our patio. The views can’t be beat, and neither can the food.
- The Bistro: Variety is the spice of life, especially when it comes to dining, and that’s just as true for retired living. The Bistro boasts a revolving breakfast and lunch menu that changes daily. Start your day with an invigorating breakfast, then come back for a light lunch or hearty soup and sandwich. While the meals change, they all have one thing in common; they’re delicious!
- The Pub: What beats relaxing with a cocktail at the end of the day, enjoying the company of friends or striking up a conversation with new friends? The Pub was founded for experiences such as these. Let our bartenders mix your favorite drink or pour you a pint from our tap. Visit The Pub before dinner, or stay for dinner, with a bar-style menu boasting wings, hamburgers, and even charcuterie boards.
- The Skyline Lounge: If the weather is nice, why not enjoy your dinner in the Skyline Lounge, our aptly named 8th floor lounge space overlooking the gorgeous Chi-town skyline? When you think of “retirement communities in Chicago,” this is probably not what you’re picturing. That’s the point! The Skyline feels like a romantic downtown Chicago event space, because that’s exactly what it is.
- Private Dining Room: While your guests are always welcome to join you at any of our restaurants, you might want to enjoy a little privacy with your loved ones. We’re happy to serve! Our private dining room is available for special occasions, such as birthdays, anniversaries, reunions — or “just because!”
Whichever restaurant you choose, expect to leave your table satisfied, by the food and the experience. Our executive chef sources the freshest seasonal ingredients to create meals that are delectable and varied. And our registered dietician oversees heart-healthy options and ensures personal dietary needs are managed.
Plus, carry-out options are also available, and we’re always happy to cater your private event. Yes, our restaurants are so good people cater meals from us! Of course, even though we’re one of Chicago’s nicest retirement communities, sometimes you just want to get out. Welcome to the neighborhood…literally!
We are located in a vibrant and diverse neighborhood, full of dining and entertainment options. To make things easier for you, we’ve also partnered with popular nearby restaurants, all within walking distance of Plymouth Place. Through our partnership, you can use your meal plan (you read that right – you don’t have to pay extra!) at the following walkable restaurants:
- Marco’s Kitchen: Savor international cuisine right in the heart of beautiful downtown La Grange, Illinois. Let Chef Marco (a close pal of Plymouth Place) transport you around the world, with sumptuous meals inspired by French, Italian, and Mexican cuisines! Learn more.
- The Milkstop Cafe: Enjoy comfort food favorites any time of the day at this relaxed, and relaxing, neighborhood cafe. Our good friends, Chefs Mary and Chris Spagnola, have been fixtures in this neighborhood for years, and their building has for even longer. It was built in 1901, so its history is almost as rich as the food! Learn more.
- The Elm: This “neighborhood gem with a big city vibe” boasts cold craft beers, warm hospitality, a gorgeous rooftop terrace, and an ever-changing menu that reflects Chicago’s four seasons. Visitors to the area should go at least once. We bet you’ll become a regular in no time. Learn more.
- Q-BBQ: Whether it’s from the Carolinas, Texas, or Memphis, everybody believes “their” type of barbecue is the best. However, they can all share a hearty meal at Q-BBQ and leave happy. Q-BBQ deliciously brings together authentic barbecue traditions from across the country, with low-and-slow cooked meats, homemade sauces, and sides crafted from scratch. Whatever your favorite style of barbecue, you’ll find it at Q-BBQ! Learn more.
While there are so many options for dining on- and off-campus, there’s nothing wrong with preparing a quiet meal at home. We’re near several grocery stores, as well as a popular farmer’s market that runs every week starting early May and running through October.
Our spacious one-, two-, and three-bedroom apartment homes feature roomy kitchens with state-of-the-art appliances and plenty of space to prepare your favorite speciality dishes. These are just some of the features of our apartment homes, so find a floor plan to suit your lifestyle and budget.
Of course, if you don’t want to cook, you know where to look!
See more of the features and amenities that make Plymouth Place active senior living one of Chicago’s finest retirement communities!